Adrian is the creator of Font Burner, a site that hosts 1,000+ sIFR fonts. He also maintains Found Photography, a site where he documents his camera experiments (like building cameras out of Legos) and photography. He is also on Twitter. By day he is creative director for Red Rocket Media Group in Colorado.
1. WHAT DOES YOUR Desk LOOK LIKE?
One is my setup at work, the other is at home.
2. WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT MAC SETUP?
At home I use a 17″ MacBook Pro which is almost always connected to my Sennheiser headphones. For digital photography I love my Panasonic Lumix LX3 with an Eye-Fi card that sends photos to my computer wirelessly. I just bought a 500gb external Western Digital drive that is powered by Firewire 800. As you can see, my home setup also includes a ping-pong table and a cat. At work I am on a Mac Pro (2x Dual Core 2.66Ghz). Possibly the most important technology in my toolbox is a sketchbook.
3. WHY ARE YOU USING THIS SETUP?
I try to never be too far from objects that keep my mind at play. You can see the toys above my desk at work, the wall of artwork at home, the headphones, and the ping pong table. I try to balance the utmost simplicity in my work space without losing the inspiration that I find from posters, artwork, toys, and games.
4. WHAT SOFTWARE DO YOU USE ON A DAILY BASIS, AND FOR WHAT DO YOU USE IT?
- I use TextMate, Transmit, and CSSEdit for web development
- There aren’t many days when I don’t open Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Adium for instant messaging
- Google Search Box recently replaced QuickSilver for shortcuts
- Fever for RSS feeds
- MarsEdit for blogging on all my WordPress powered sites
- Transmission is typically going in the background
5. DO YOU OWN ANY OTHER MAC GEAR?
I have an iPhone and an aging PowerMac G4. I still use an old 3rd Generation iPod for audio books on my commute. The internet reaches me through my Airport Express Base Station.
6. DO YOU HAVE ANY FUTURE UPGRADES PLANNED?
I am holding my breath for the rumored Mac netbook. If that doesn’t come into existence I might just try installing OSX on a netbook to create a hackintosh. I have to resist the urge to upgrade constantly. I would love a new unibody MacBook Pro and an iPhone upgrade, but realistically those purchases are at least a year away. I have had my eye on a 30″ Apple Cinema display for a while.
More Sweet Setups
Adrian’s setup is just one in a series of sweet Mac Setups.