My name is Shawn Blanc (pronounced “blonk“). I have a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and I live in Kansas City with my wife Anna, our son Noah, and our two green couches.
This is a tech- and design-centric website. I’ve been writing here since the summer of 2007. In the spring of 2011 I quit my job and began writing this site full time.
You can support the work I do here and help keep the lights on by becoming a member.
My current setup is a specced-out 13-inch MacBook Air (mid 2011). Before coming into possession of this modern marvel of a laptop, I used an early-2008 model 15-inch MacBook Pro. Before that was a machine which was never allowed to be left un-supervizied: a Quad-Core Mac Pro named Azlan. And before that was my first Mac: a 12-inch PowerBook G4 that I carted around in a fitted Brenthaven case. I loved that case.
I am a bit of a software aficionado. For a closer look at what software I use and recommend, check out the reviews section. For a look at the software other people use, check out the Sweet Mac Setups.
- Writing, editing, and publishing is spread out between my MacBook Air, iPad, and iPhone using some amalgamation of Notational Velocity, Simplenote, Byword, Writing Kit, and/or MarsEdit.
- Coded in Coda.
- Hosted on a Media Temple (dv) Server since 2008.
- Powered by WordPress since before it was cool.
- My iPhone Home screen on First & 20
- Talking Tools with Brett Kelly
- MacStories interview with Federico Viticci
- iPad life interview on The Brooks Review
- My iPad Home screen on Mac Sparky
- Stephen Hackett’s “Writers I Read” Interview Series
I read every email I get, but I often don’t respond in a timely manner, if even at all. Please don’t take it personally if I don’t write back, just remember that you are still awesome.