My name is Shawn Blanc (pronounced like blonk). I have a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and I live in Kansas City with my wife Anna and our two amazing sons, Noah and Giovanni.
This is a tech- and design-centric website. I’ve been writing here since the summer of 2007. In the spring of 2011 I quit my job and began writing this site full time.
You can support the work I do here and help keep the lights on by becoming a member.
My current setup is
a mid-2011, specced-out 13-inch MacBook Air specced out iMac with Retina display. Before coming into possession of this modern marvel of a computer, I’ve also used the aforementioned MacBook Air, an early-2008 15-inch MacBook Pro, a machine which was never allowed to be left un-supervizied — my Quad-Core Mac Pro named Azlan — and before that was my first Mac: a 12-inch PowerBook G4 that I carted around in a fitted Brenthaven case. I loved that case.
I am a bit of a software aficionado. For a closer look at what software I use and recommend, check out the reviews section. For a look at the software other people use, check out the Sweet Mac Setups.
- Tools & Toys — A daily collection of fine paraphernalia.
- The Sweet Setup — Where we review and recommend the best apps for your Mac, iPad, and iPhone.
- Shawn Today — My daily, members-only podcast.
- The Weekly Briefly — My weekly podcast about creativity, technology, and the like.
- Delight is in the Details — My eBook, Audio Book, and Interview series for people who make things.
- Writing, editing, and publishing is spread out between my MacBook Air, iPad, and iPhone using some amalgamation of Notational Velocity, Simplenote, Byword, Writing Kit, and/or MarsEdit.
- Coded in Coda.
- Hosted on a Media Temple (dv) Server since 2008.
- Powered by WordPress since before it was cool.
- My iPhone Home screen on First & 20
- Talking Tools with Brett Kelly
- MacStories interview with Federico Viticci
- iPad life interview on The Brooks Review
- My iPad Home screen on Mac Sparky
- Stephen Hackett’s “Writers I Read” Interview Series
- Inquisitive podcast, episode 8
I read every email I get, but I often don’t respond in a timely manner, if even at all. Please don’t take it personally if I don’t write back, just remember that you are still awesome.