Sweet Mac Setup: Shaun Inman
Shaun Inman’s jaw-dropping web-design skills, mind-boggling web-development skills, and really awesome name, all set him apart as a man who needs no introduction.
1. What does your desk look like?
2. What is your current Mac setup?
I currently use a 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro purchased at the end of 2006 as my primary machine. It’s maxed out at 3 GB of RAM.
Connected are a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, the full-size aluminum keyboard, a 20″ aluminum Apple LCD, the Bose Companion 3 speaker system, an original iSight, the Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone and the M-Audio 61-key USB keyboard.
3. Why are you using this setup?
I do a fare bit of travel and prior to this laptop I used a G5 at home and an iBook on the road. I just got tired of syncing before and after trips. The Intellimouse is the perfect fit for my hand; the copy/paste/back/forward buttons seem to have been designed with my thumb specifically in mind. The new Apple keyboards are equally delightful to use. The rest I neither love nor hate; they just get the job done.
4. What software do you use on a daily basis, and for what do you use it?
No real surprises here. I use the following on a daily basis:
- Quicksilver strictly as an application launcher
- Mail for all my passive aggressive needs
- TextMate for code wrangling
- Photoshop CS 3 for pixel pushing (anti-aliased or otherise)
- Transmit for breaking things on live servers in real-time
- BBEdit 8.2.6 for its Find and Replace with support for regular expressions and Find Differences
- Safari for Twitter, Shortwave, Fever, Mint and Google
- MAMP for local development
Frequently if not daily:
- GarageBand for music composition and recording
- Terminal for really breaking things on live servers in real-time
5. Do you own any other Mac gear?
Wi-fi is provided by an Airport Extreme. I’ve also hooked up the old G5 to the flat-screen in the family room. I picked up a cheap PlayStation-to-USB adaptor and setup ControllerMate to control the Finder, DVD Player, VLC and a number of emulators (NES, SNES, Gameboy Advance and PlayStation). I also have a jail-broken iPhone (for my carrier, not the apps).
6. Do you have any future upgrades planned?
Of course! In the next month or so I’m planning on picking up a new MacBook Pro and a Wacom Cintiq 12WX. Also, since my iPhone is jailbroken I’m planning on picking up an iPod touch as an easier-to-maintain development device.
More Sweet Setups
Shaun’s setup is just one in a series of Sweet Mac Setups.Publishing this site is my full-time job. If you enjoyed this article, please consider supporting the site by becoming a member. There are some great perks.